- Who can participate? How long does the contest run?
Any staff, student, faculty, alumni, or public patron with a UCSD library card in good standing is eligible to participate.
To participate, complete an online book review submission form for each book read no later than July 31st.
- What can you read?
With over 3 million volumes in our collection, we’re sure that you can find something to read right here in the UCSD Libraries.
Only books owned by the UCSD Libraries may be counted. Books obtained through Interlibrary Loan and the Circuit will not be counted towards review credit, unless a copy of the material is owned by one of the UCSD Libraries. Although no videos may be watched for credit, unabridged audio books may be listened to for credit provided that the UCSD Libraries owns a copy of the printed version. A review may be submitted for any book read during the time that the contest runs.
Note: As requested by our previous participants, Children's Literature is not an eligible category, however, Young Adult Literature, (such as the Harry Potter or Twilight series) is acceptable
- Prizes for the Lone Reader
Check out our Prizes & Events page for all the info. This year, reading review prizes will be distributed every other Wednesday, starting on May 6th 2009.
- Team Spirit:
To participate, team members will submit book reviews for each of the books they read. Since team sizes vary, the team that submits the most reviews based on the number of teammates they have will win the team competition. The number of reviews submitted divided by the number of members on the team will be used to determine this year's winning team.
- Additional rules for the team competition:
- Minimum of 2 people on a team; Maximum of 6 people on a team
- Each member of the team must be eligible to participate in the Summer Reading Contest, i.e. must have a UCSD library card in good standing
- An individual may compete on one team only, and all of the reviews submitted by each team member will count towards both the individual and team count. Individuals participating on teams also qualify for the prizes listed above under "Prizes for the Lone Reader."
- Must provide a team name, e.g. Communication Department, or Cranial CogSci Students, etc. Be creative!
- When submitting reviews for your team, be sure to include your name and your team's name to ensure you receive your prizes.
Please remember: ALL REVIEWS MUST BE ORIGINAL
In order to be eligible to attend the Summer Reading Awards Celebration, each lone reader (and team member) must complete and submit at least 5 reviews. The Awards Celebration will be held in August, budget permitting
If you have any questions about the rules, please contact us.