Agenda - UC/S Map Libraries Group
September 13, 2002 - UC Santa Cruz
Welcome and introductions
* CDL Shared Cataloging Program
---At http://orpheus-1.ucsd.edu/disc/cdl/ click on "New Projects Letter" for a description of their goals and procedures.
---Example for discussion: Larry's suggestion to add url's for the online versions of the USGS Digital Data Series (DDS); also this NOAA project http://historicals.ncd.noaa.gov/historicals/histmap.asp and the David Rumsey map site: http://www.davidrumsey.com/
Shared Purchase Sugestions
* Columbia Gazetteer Online
* Aerial Express California metro areas CD imagery
Agreement & Conspectus
*Followup on the agreement & conspectus, including how we want to handle updating the conspectus.
Scanning Projects & Priorities
* ComputaMaps - http://www.computamaps.com/ - large format scanner project at UCB
*Digitizing specifications for scanning maps
---Larry recommends David Allen's 1998 article on Creating & Distributing High Resolution Cartographic Images at http://www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews/diginews2-4.html#feature
*LSTA Grant Proposal to scan California historic topo quads
* Setting priorities for future scanning projects: what would you like to see scanned?
Depository Library Issues
* Federal depository library inspections: Implications for map collections & their staff.
* Update on the CDL Task Force on Government Information.
What's New?* Brief Web Demos:
"Scoping" the Map Collection in UCSC's CruzCat
Atlas of Global Inequality
*Conference updates: CUAC 5/02; ALA 6/02; SLA 6/02; ESRI 7/02.
* Round robin: 2 minute summary of what's happening at your campus.
Next Meeting - Spring 2003 at Stanford?
Please send suggestions for additional items to Cynthia Jahns at UCSC.