Member Libraries || ILL Directory

UC/Stanford Map Libraries Group Meeting

December 11, 2006, UCSD Geisel Library

Attending: Cynthia Jahns (Santa Cruz), Megan Dreger (San Diego), Mary Larsgaard (Santa Barbara), Tracey Hughes (San Diego), Kathy Stroud (Davis), Yvonne Wilson (Irvine), Julia Gelfand (Irvine), Wendie Helms (Riverside), Rachel Myers (San Diego), David Deckelbaum (UCLA), Mike Smith (San Diego)
Regrets: Julie Sweetkind-Singer (Stanford)

Martha Hruska, AUL for Collections Services at UCSD and a representative on CDC, welcomed the group and invited us to relay any thoughts or issues we might have to her.

Item 1. Review and Acceptance of Minutes

Minutes of the June 5, 2006, were accepted as written.

Item 2. Announcements

Gail Yokote, AUL for Research Services and Collections at UC Davis, is the new representative for our group to CDL’s Collection Development Committee (CDC).

Item 3. Review, Discussion and Potential Revision of UC/Stanford Collection Development Policy for Maps, Serials, Cartographic Materials, etc.  

Mary Larsgaard led the discussion of the Collaborative Cartographic Materials Collection Development Agreement among the Libraries at Stanford University and the University of California, which expires July 1, 2007 unless renewed. It is likely that there will not be any need to change the agreement before renewal for another 5 years.  However, we should also review the document detailing our respective collection responsibilities for revision.

Action Items:

All –

1. Read the agreement for changes

2. Share the agreement with our AULs for collection development before the next meeting and alert them that a renewal is coming.

3. Read the conspectus for collection development changes and notify UC/SLMG members of any changes (e.g., categories that will no longer be collected at level in conspectus).

4. Look at the conspectus to see if we should add more about atlases.

5. See if we need to address digital data in more detail than currently addressed in the conspectus.

6. Consider whether archiving/weeding policy should be incorporated into the conspectus. For example, does the RLF persistence policy impact the agreement?

Approach Jim Dooley, Head of Collection Services at Merced, to see if Merced wants to join.

Item 4. Shared Collection Proposals to Submit to CDL via Consortia

The map librarians do not currently have any online resources they are considering for consortial purchase. We agreed that we wish to see the consortial subscription to the Columbia Gazetteer continue.

Item 5. Scanned Topos from USGS

David Deckelbaum reported on his contact with Greg Allord at USGS about the national scanning project. Greg is trying to get a national register of what’s been done and will put it online and get back to David. Greg appeared interested in including the existing CA scans although they don’t meet the dpi specifications of the USGS project.  Greg thinks there is money to do the national register and scanning. 

There has been no word from Li Hunt’s successor on the status of making USC’s scanned CA topographic maps available. 

Action Items:

1) David will follow-up with Greg Allord of USGS.

2) Mary will contact Li Hunt’s successor about the status of scanned CA topographic maps.

3) Mary will contact Mitch (or Diane Garcia) at USGS for a complete list of CA topos published by USGS and for information on their scanning of topos.

Item 6. Sanborn Update

David Deckelbaum reported that Colleen Cahill, Library of Congress, has sent Julie Sweetkind-Singer additional information including estimated cost and time for scanning Sanborn Maps of selected CA cities pre-1923.  The idea is to start with a pilot project.  David has $30,000 of an endowment fund earmarked for this project. Stanford has money set aside as well. All parties are interested in the project, but the difficulty is finding an appropriate vehicle to set it up. Julie has a copy of the latest iteration of the LC contract with University of Texas, who is sending personnel to DC to do the scanning. We would like to avoid doing this. We can’t do a purchase order with LC.  LC suggested we do a gift in exchange for the scanned product; however, that would need the Chancellor’s approval on our end. David has arranged for a conference call between LC, UCLA, & Stanford in an attempt to find mutual language for a contract.

Action Item:

David will report to the UC/S Map Libraries Group the results of the call.

Item 7. New Acquisitions of Interest to Group

The group discussed the need to look at ways to deal with allocation of funds when some campuses do not have available funding for new purchases or subscriptions. Concern was expressed that campuses aren’t sharing joint purchase burdens along previously agreed lines because of lack of funds. We should look to our JSC representative and CDC for guidance on time frames when considering consortial purchases. The discussion concluded that we have very few purchases that are appropriate for Tier 1 or 2 agreements handled by CDL. The Columbia Gazetteer is the main example of this type of purchase. There aren’t many standard online cartographic resources. Often the cost of licensing spatial data and serving it up to the patrons is not a worthwhile use of our funds. Therefore, digital data purchases are usually in hard format and are not served-up over the Internet.

Some potential digital items we might consider in the future are:

Maritime Boundaries Database

Novacell Technology’s scanned topographic maps nationwide with a Riley type index (product scheduled to be demonstrated in February at WAML)

National Map Datasets if USGS is not archiving

CDL project to make interface for scanned Sanborns (provided scanning project occurs)

JOGs online

Historical soil surveys of CA

We will continue to coordinate digital file acquisition for foreign countries. Meeting twice a year significantly aids in coordination.  It was suggested that we concentrate on collection of digital data layers other than scanned maps.

Discussion followed on whether digital or paper maps were preferred. It was agreed that both digital and paper were useful.  The members present all agreed that the decision of digital versus paper when purchasing depended on many factors, especially the scale of information needed and the geographic area.

Action Item:

Tracey will look into the Maritime Boundaries data and forward information to the group.

Item 8. Cataloging of Digital Cartography

Mary and Kathy led a discussion of the draft proposal for standardizing use of subject headings for digital cartographic materials, including geospatial databases, to improve user discovery of databases and other types of digital cartographic materials. We cannot wait for new LCSHs to be approved. One of the points discussed was that in Melvyl, if an item is cataloged differently by two institutions, one of two things would happen.  Either the first record entered will show and the special subject headings that differ in any additional records will be lost in a Melvyl search or multiple records for the same item at different campuses will show-up. It was agreed that it is better to include standardized terms in the subject fields rather than notes fields because subject fields are more consistently indexed in our catalogs. Mary recommends we use the 655 field instead of the 653 and point to list of agreed upon terms on a web page maintained by the group. We will need to agree on which terms to use. Once we agree on terms, we will take our proposal to HOTS.

Once we agree on cataloging terms for new records, campuses may wish to address revising existing records as time and resources allow.  These projects may be small due to weeding of older data that may be caused by obsolescence, format and software platform issues, etc.

Action Items:

Mary will get the next draft out by end of month and it will include “to do” list for rest of us.

Kathy will find out who in HOTS or one of its subcommittees to forward the proposal to. She will also look into schedule for HOTS.

Mary will start a list of what call numbers are used to catalog digital cartographic resources.  They occur in more than just the G series.  This list could potentially become a resource for patrons

People should send Mary examples of existing records for digital cartographic materials at their institutions

Kathy will distribute her list of what various UCs and Stanford are currently doing

 

Item 9. Conferences Update

  • Spring 2007 WAML meeting will be a joint meeting with the California Map Society in Pasadena at Huntington Library February 15-18.
  • The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) will be having their annual meeting in San Francisco February 15 – 19, 2007.
  • ALA Midwinter is in Seattle January 19-22, 2007. MAGERT may be holding a session on security in map libraries.
  • Fall 2007 WAML meeting will be in Denver October 24-27 immediately preceding the Geoscience Information Society meeting in Denver.

Item 10. Round Robin

Mary Larsgaard reported on NDIPP, which is in its third and final year as of October 1. They are applying for a three year renewal of funding for the project. The project’s goal is to have 12 terabytes of data by Sept. 30, 2007.  UC Santa Barbara currently has 3-3.5 terabytes and Stanford has ____.  Stanford has placed the David Rumsey collection in the Stanford Digital Depository.  The Digital Depository is not intended to be open to the public. However, NDIPP data must be available to public. Stanford’s systems people are working to provide access. For more information, see the National Geospatial Digital Archive’s website, ngda.org.

Megan Dreger reported on the Mexican digital map acquisition. Currently there is no index to the files on DVD. It is arranged by datum, not quad name. The index provided was a JPEG of index to the quads and the shading on it does not corresponding to what we received. UCSD is working on an inventory.  Meanwhile, if you need something, send quad names to Megan. She can interpret a spreadsheet they have developed and get the file to you.  The data set is not cataloged yet.

Davis reported that they now have two public GIS workstations in a self-service technology lab located in Government Information and Maps. Linda Kennedy, Head of Government Information and Maps, is also acting head of Access Services at Shields Library. The position of Head of Access Services is currently vacant.  Amy Kautzman is joining Shields Library December 18 as AUL Humanities and Social Sciences, a new position. John Tanno, AUL Technical Services & Technology has announced his retirement.

Irvine reported that five librarians have been hired since July.  There are still many openings. The University Librarian is on sabbatical fall and spring quarters, but is present for winter quarter. Among the faculty, GIS does not appear to be catching on quickly. Geolytics data CDs have been purchased. The Board of Regents approved a Law School for Irvine. The first class will be fall 2009. The campus is recruiting heavily for new programs (new school of allied health).

UCLA reported that there have been three retirements his department, including the unit head.  Two more retirements, including David Deckelbaum, are expected in the coming year. Jonnie Hargis (jhargis at library.ucla.edu) is the LA IV for maps and will be the temporary contact for maps at UCLA once David leaves.  

Riverside gave a successful GIS Day presentation and workshop using the new free downloadable ArcExplorer (AEJEE version 2 on ESRI’s site) with its associatedlesson plan. Riverside is loading ArcGIS 9.2 and has acquired the new set of ESRI Data & Maps. UCR is interviewing for a head of cataloging & metadata and has filled two Science Reference Librarian positions.  UCR will be getting a medical school.

UCSD reported they are hiring. Tracey Hughes is the new GIS Coordinator & Mike Smith, who officially starts December 18th, is the new Map Librarian. They are also hiring a new state & local person. The library is advertising for a data services librarian (2 recently retired).  UCSD is reviewing cataloging records to clean-up removing records from the catalog that were removed from the collection during a past major reduction of the collection. Scripps is downsizing its map collection to focus on bathymetric charts,
reducing its terrestrial and geological map holdings to California and other facets of primary interest at Scripps. The maps collection position at Scripps was not filled after retirement due to insufficient usage of the collection to justify the position.

Tracey Hughes at UCSD reported that she has been busy with outreach.  They have three GIS lab student assistants, are making common datasets available in the lab, are running a GIS list serve, and advertising the availability of the ESRI, courses, conference and other resources. They may be incorporating SPSS on their workstations with GIS.

UC Santa Barbara reported that their University Librarian position is vacant.   They are currently reporting to Executive Vice Chancellor of campus. The hiring process for an UL is proceeding.

UC Santa Cruz reported they are only open in the afternoons, but are doing the same amount of reference during the year as when they were open longer.  The library is recruiting two AULs this upcoming year.  The library is down two science librarians, one on sabbatical and the other resigned.

Item 11. Next Meetings

UC San Diego offered to host again on June 15 to correspond with ESRI’s Education User Conference June 16-19 at the San Diego Convention Center. The December 2007 meeting will be in Santa Barbara. Santa Cruz will host the June 2008 meeting.

 

Maintained by Cynthia Jahns (cjahns at ucsc.edu). Last updated July 2007